I'm sure I can sneak in some more reading here and there, but what I have covered so far is a drily comic story of a widowed British gentleman, caught in a moment of bereavement. There's conflict over a family heirloom. There's a visit from the three town busybodies, one of whom is single. The other two busybodies make sure she's dressed-up, made-up and perfumed up. Then they shove her forward to express condolences and make pleasant conversation.
Then there's the Pakistani woman who owns the village convenience shop. A cup of tea starts a friendship. Then, more tea, more friendship. Nobody's calling this thing a romance yet but, my, my, the major's step sure is lighter when Mrs. Ali comes around.
No telling what the proper Britishers villagers will think of a romanc . . . er, . . . friendship between one of their own and this foreiger lady.
I'll keep you posted.
In the kitchen (mine, not the Major's), I decided not to let the remainder of a jar of Alfredo sauce go bad. Don't we love websites where we can type in an ingredient and a recipe appears before our eyes?
SUMMER SQUASH CHICKEN ALFREDO
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking dish.
- Place the chicken in the prepared baking dish, and coat with the garlic. Bake 25 minutes, or until chicken juices run clear. Cool and chop.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Place the rigatoni in the pot, cook 10 minutes, until al dente, and drain.
- Place bacon in a skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble, and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and saute the zucchini and yellow squash until tender and lightly browned.
- In a small bowl, mix the Alfredo sauce and milk. Serve chicken over the cooked pasta. Pour Alfredo sauce over the chicken. Top with zucchini and squash. Sprinkle with sun-dried tomatoes, bacon, Parmesan cheese, and almonds.
- Serves 6 @ 435 cals./serving. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Summer-Squash-Chicken-Alfredo/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=summer%20squash%20chicken%20alfredo&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page