Sunday, January 5, 2014

Dispatches from the Arctic Circle

The wind blows.    The snow piles up.  At the end of the driveway, it sticks up higher than the pompom on your stocking cap.  I don't know who is responsible for this--Mr. Nesquik, who has shoveled twice already, or the snowplow. 

We have switched to the emergency menus, the ones that call for ingredients tucked away in the freezer and pantry for days such as this one. Even so, I still found myself at Meijer two days ago, standing in long lines with the hordes that picked the shelves clean of bananas and eggs.  Maybe bread and beer, too, though I didn't scout out those aisles.   

So while the wind picked up and all my Facebook friends bragged about the snowmen they just built, I labored away at  Chicken with Peach Stuffing, which really wasn't that much labor: 

We ate this tasty stuff with green beans, and brownies.

Thanks to those who wish us well, as in telling us they hope we have a plentiful supply of hot chocolate on hand.  Bye-bye Nesquik buys Costco-sized bags of chocolate chips and hides them away (though everybody finds them anyway) so she doesn't notice the lack of hot chocolate.


And now I'm off to read Scott Turow's Presumed Innocent, a thriller about murder among the prosecuting attorneys.  I haven't gotten very far yet, but this winter looks highly promising for working our way through the entire west wing of the town library.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a comforting nestled in plan..... viva la good eats, good book and good snuggle....

    ReplyDelete